Don't Let Doorstep Criminals Cast a Shadow on your Summer
With the summer sun luring people into their gardens many rogue traders take advantage of this and start targeting residents. Trading Standards have been made aware of rogue traders recently offering a variety of services which include driveway resurfacing/sealing/cleaning, wall repairs, garden services, roofing repairs, as well as fascias and guttering maintenance.
Incidents such as these are also linked to distraction burglaries and residents are encouraged to report them to the Police or Trading Standards.There are a number of steps residents can take to try and avoid becoming the victim of a rogue trader.
• Be wary of traders who cold call and the deals they offer you – it is unusual for genuine tradesmen to need to cold call to drum up work!
• Do not allow any unknown and unexpected visitor into your home.
• If they claim work needs doing, get a second or even third opinion from other professional tradesman.
• If you agree to work, you are afforded cancellation rights by law, and these should be given to you in writing. It is a criminal offence not to provide these in certain circumstances.
• If you are unhappy or feel intimidated by the visitor – shut the door and call the police. Use the 999 number!!
If you believe you have fallen victim to a rogue trader, or would like some further pre-shopping advice, please contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 08454 04 05 06.